Has anyone seen Bryan Johnson's Project Blueprint?

Alex K Chen

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

...Me going anywhere is kind of a circus

Yes, LOL, although I still cannot imagine, can you load a cooler on a plane? Maybe yes, but can it contain all the food for 3 days? Maybe so, it is some cargo Brian has to carry around, but his tenaciousness is admirable, I remember Dean has done something similar though during the Calerie study.

His recipes look pretty good:

Screenshot-20230601-184830-Chrome.jpg

But I wonder about taking human growth hormone, testosterone and rapamycin:

Screenshot-20230601-185507-Chrome.jpg

The HGH and T would certainly make most men feel good, but seems counter productive to slowing aging.  Or has he cracked the code? I guess only time will tell.  I remember when HGH was all the rage for longevity people then I thought it was pretty much debunked and mostly abandoned. 

I'm surprised he hasn't put cold exposure into his repertoire yet, you know it's coming 😂

Yes; his diet certainly isn't bad, but T and HGH are IMO a stupid choice, if one wants health extension and/or life extension.

But, as Luigi noted at one of the CR Society meetings, Rapamycin might be useful for both HE and LE.  A study is in progress now, to see the effects of R on large pet dogs (which have a short lifespan, making it feasible to get  information in a reasonable amount of time).  I don't take R (and I've never tried to find out how to get it.)

I don't see any reason to follow the recommendations of this person. 

--  Saul

Well, GH is a significant part of "health and welness" industry and the industry itself ia already a several billion usd market if I do not miss the figures. (its official part in the US only).

Last year I listened to an audiobook version of:

Selling the Fountain of Youth: How the Anti-Aging Industry Made a Disease Out of Getting Old--And Made Billions
by Arlene Weintraub

and came to conclusion that GH itself is really worse a story of its own. It is not a recreational drug that creates addiction but many people are addicted to it via more subtle mechanisms. It is not a placebo because it does the real things and some of them are highly wanted while some could be unwanted. Some people even do understand well and some doctors that are selling GH therapy as a part of "wellness pack" inform patients very good what the tradeoff they are buying - not a miracle and not a longevity (maybe even shortening life thing) but in exchange to feel freaking well, a way to taste own's younger age again, not 100% the same but nothing even close to this is available as an alternative. Thus many people do a more or less informed choice.

So it is not even quackery in many of the cases as it is classically described.

There is no proper word for it. I name it - selling the people a feeling they are sure that they are doing something significant for their health or feeling well or both. Despite that it is a mix of psychosomatic induction service and in case of GH/testo - a really controversial thing to be done.

And the industry itself operates in the endless gradient of white-to-grey zones around the planet.

So if GH is not being sold as a longevity tool but a tool to feel well at a cost of some smaller risks - it is very hard to define it as unethical. At least the story with "pressing out" the tobacco industry to less developed countries and the similar trajectory with softdrinks and other engineered foods are not so much different. Yes, they are sold because of manipulative rhethoric and persuasion and I personally think it is unethical but many people will argue against.

A newer reality, a genie that will not get into the lamp back.

Br,

Igor

I think for this community it would be interesting to a little bit more about his "work":

https://blueprint.bryanjohnson.co/#blueprint-starter-guide

All the things he's doing get's only into the "experiment" on himself, only if there is enough evidence. Interestingly enough there is not enough evidence for his big team of doctors to decide to do stuff like cold exposure. 

Everything they are doing needs to be also measurable = if they start taking/doing something today, they need to know what factors it's going to have any level of impact and they are measing it daily/weekly/monthly before they decide the experiment was a success or not.

@InquilineKea there is the full version of the interview now - it's not very informative but you get to know the person behind all of this a little bit more

Best

CTPA

On 6/2/2023 at 1:07 AM, Gordo said:

His recipes look pretty good:

Screenshot-20230601-184830-Chrome.jpg

But I wonder about taking human growth hormone, testosterone and rapamycin:

Screenshot-20230601-185507-Chrome.jpg

The HGH and T would certainly make most men feel good, but seems counter productive to slowing aging.  Or has he cracked the code? I guess only time will tell.  I remember when HGH was all the rage for longevity people then I thought it was pretty much debunked and mostly abandoned. 

I'm surprised he hasn't put cold exposure into his repertoire yet, you know it's coming 😂

He answered in twitter:

21 hours ago, 5fp4 said:

He answered in twitter:

Not sure how hard they have looked into the evidence although "reducing biological aging" is a bit tough to nail down really.  CE is associated with improved heart rate variability (HRV),  it up-regulates FGF21 (associated with longevity), boosts adiponectin (associated with longevity), boosts Irisin production (associated with longevity), up-regulates the SIRT1 pathway (associated with longevity), boosts the immune system (increasing natural killer cells) which might be particularly important for a person taking rapymicin, is associated with a decline in cancer mortality, may improve bone health and bone density (good for people doing CR), and it improves glucose homeostatis and insulin sensitivity (elevated blood glucose is associated with most of the leading causes of death and disease today and leads to damage over time of many organs (especially eyes, endothelial/cardiovascular system, and brain) and results in higher levels of advanced glycation end products.  References to all of this are in the write up I did years ago which was really just a summary of all the work Dean did.  Sad that most of the pictures have been wiped out over the years, ah well.

Huh, I noticed in one of his videos a tattoo on his right forearm of some molecule.  At first I thought it might be DMT or psilocin, but it may be serotonin (?):

TatooID.jpg

Regardless that made me think he might be doing some research with psychedelics so I did some more searching and found out he was in a documentary about psychedelics: 

https://www.altrd.tv/shows/open-minds/season/1/episode/6

Bryan: "[psychedelics] have this special power not only of fixing what's broken but improving what works and expanding our capabilitites.  Coupling that up with measurement we can walk this thing forward with scientific rigor."

That episode made be aware of and appreciate what he has accomplished with his company Kernel: 

https://www.kernel.com/news

I've long felt we need better ways of measuring/observing our brains.  If you can measure it, you can improve it.

I'm more intrigued now than I was previously about what he is up to.  He takes body measurement far beyond what anyone else has ever done before, I think that's a move in the right direction.  Imagine if it wasn't just him but hundreds of people doing this kind of hyper measurement and continuous feedback/improvement work.  I think we could learn a lot in a short amount of time.

Edited by Gordo

I'm glad you're noticing it - i'm too lazy to give the information/arguments for him, but he's the first person since years, who got my attention about his/it's way of doing research/work about longevity/health/etc.

For now I'm not very interested in psychedelics - I'm curious, why is it so interesting to you?

Best

cTpa

On 6/13/2023 at 11:07 AM, 5fp4 said:

For now I'm not very interested in psychedelics - I'm curious, why is it so interesting to you?

Don't want to veer off topic (but I guess its sort of on topic now since psychedelics are apparently one of Bryan's interests as well).  Like Bryan, I think psychedelics at least have the potential to benefit many people, although the scientific evidence for this is not super robust at the moment.  There are phase 3 clinical trials ongoing right now for MDMA and psilocybin, the results of those will be important, but the focus there is for treating depression, addictions, and PTSD, which is great and could help a lot of people, but doesn't have all that much personal relevance to me. 

I'm very interested in the associations of psychedelics with neurogenesis and neuroplasticity.  If anyone here listens to the Hidden Brain (NPR) show/podcast they recently did an episode with a researcher who showed (with brain scanning/measurement) how long term hard core meditation changes the brain (presumably for the better): https://hiddenbrain.org/podcast/seeking-serenity-part-2/

It would not surprise me to find that psychedelics could achieve something similar, perhaps to a greater extent when combined with a meditation practice (as was researched at Johns Hopkins).

But I think they could potentially be useful in other ways too, for example see: Psychedelics as potential catalysts of scientific creativity and insight Sam Gandy , Valérie Bonnelle , Edward Jacobs and David Luke

And: Can Psychedelics Improve Healthy Habits?

The neurogenesis and antidepressant effects might help a person's mood and brain health as they age. The neuroplasticity aspect might also be useful for "reprogramming" one's mind (for lack of a better word) what I mean is solidifying one's intent and resolve to achieve one's goals (as opposed to the millions of people who try and fail to improve their health, diet, exercise, etc.)

Psilocybin and other psychedelics can also be pretty good appetite suppressors which might prove useful in some way although jury is still out when it comes to benefits from microdosing and there is potential risk of routine long term use of some psychedelics including possible heart valve damage (associated with 5ht2b receptor binding drugs), there could at least potentially be some negative mental health issues as well especially for certain susceptible individuals (particularly those with a history of mental illness). 

So for me this just remains a very intriguing but largely unproven area of interest.
Edited by Gordo

Thank you @Gordo for answering - interesting, while I think it's gonna take "too" long to have enough data to think about the benefits (although I'm not nearly as informed as you are), but maybe in few years.

Back to topic Bryan, I suppose you have seen his high level on calorie intake from just one point: olive oil. He's planing to do an information video + he's already making his own olive oil he plans to sell, because not every extra virgin is the right one. He's wished attributes (evidence oriented from his side):

Highest Quality Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
>76% oleic acid
<9 and ideally <6 meq/kg peroxide value
<0.3% free fatty acids (FFA)
>85% 1.2 DAGs or > 90%
>560 mg/kg total phenolics as measured via HPLC total biophenols IOC
Less than 8 months old
Store in cool, light free environment

Searching for one in germany right now. 

Best

16 hours ago, 5fp4 said:

Highest Quality Extra-Virgin Olive Oil

I actually did a lot of research on this a while back, see:

and

I look forward to him showing us how he makes the ultimate homemade olive oil though, that sounds like fun.  Not sure how practical it is though.